Monday, September 15, 2014

Shameless Self-Promotion: Hidden Horror



Because I'm lousy at self-promotion, I don't think I've touted this book I was in at the start of the year. It's Hidden Horror: A Celebration of 101 Underrated and Overlooked Fright Flicks and it was put together by all-around good guy Aaron Christensen. My piece for the book was about X: The Man With the X-Ray Eyes, which you can read at Filmmaker Magazine's web site. I know that one criticism of the book so far has been that a lot of the films discussed aren't nearly that "underrated" or "overlooked," but that sniping comes from inside horror fandom itself, so it shouldn't be taken too seriously. If May was well-known for example, it would have been a much bigger hit and Lucky McKee wouldn't have had so many problems getting films made ever since.  And, you know? There's stuff in the book that even I haven't seen and I'm an obsessive, so you get no qualms from me about the films my colleagues selected. More than that, though, I'm shocked at how few of the films in the book that I have seen are films that I've written about. A lot of those are films that I saw pre-internet. I may have written about them in the spiral notebooks I used as film diaries when I was a teen, but I'll be damned if I'll let any of that writing onto the web. Be that as it may, I recognize a challenge when I see it.


This is the full list of films in the book. The ones with links are films I've written about. The ones in italics are films I haven't seen:



Alucarda
At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul
Bad Taste
The Beast Must Die
The Blob (1988)
Blood For Dracula
Brain Damage
Brimstone and Treacle
The Brotherhood of Satan
Carnival of Souls
The Changeling
The City of the Dead
City of the Living Dead
The Company of Wolves
Crimes at the Dark House
The Curse of the Werewolf
Curtains
Dark Night of the Scarecrow
Dark Waters
Dellamorte Dellamore
The Devil Rides Out
The Devils
Django Kill!..If You Live, Shoot!
Dust Devil
Eden Lake
The Entity
Event Horizon
Evilspeak
The Eye
Fascination
Frailty
Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man
The Gore Gore Girls
Habit
Halloween III: The Season of the Witch
The Hands of Orlac
The Hills Have Eyes
The Hitcher
The Horror of Party Beach
The House that Screamed
Humanoids from the Deep
The Hunchback of the Morgue
Ichi the Killer
In A Glass Cage
In the Mouth of Madness
Isle of the Dead
Isolation
I Spit on Your Grave
Kairo
Kill, Baby, Kill
The Legend of Hell House
Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural
Let's Scare Jessica To Death
The Living and the Dead
The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue
Maniac
The Man Who Laughs
Matango
May
The Mothman Prophecies
A Night to Dismember
Night Warning
The Old Dark House
The Other Side
The Penalty
Phantom of the Paradise
Pieces
Pin
Possession
Pretty Poison
Psycho II
Q
Quatermass and the Pit
Razorback
The Reflecting Skin
The Sadist
Santa Sangre
Season of the Witch
The Sender
The Seventh Victim
Shock Waves
The Signal
Silent Scream
Society
Spider Baby
Spiral
The Spiral Staircase
Squirm
A Tale of Two Sisters
Tattoo
The Tenant
Tenebrae
Tombs of the Blind Dead
Tourist Trap
Tremors
Uzumaki
Vampyr
Venus in Furs (1969)
Violent Midnight
The Werewolf of London
X: The Man With the X-Ray Eyes


At least part of my participation in this year's October Challenge will consist of watching and writing about some of the movies in Hidden Horror. Meanwhile, anyone who loves horror should pick up a copy of the book. It's chock full of good writers, and they all brought their "A" game. Seriously, any book that can make me re-evaluate I Spit On Your Grave has some serious chops.









Patreon Logo
I'm trying out Patreon as a means of funding my blogs. They don't have a widget yet, so this link will just have to do. If you like my writing and art and if you'd like to support Krell Laboratories and Christianne's Art and Comics, please come on over and pledge. Thanks.



2 comments:

Morgan Champion said...

For those who own a Region 2 or multizone player, Studio Canal put out a while back The Best Of Hammer Collection, which is a boxed st of the following films: The Nanny,
Dracula: Prince of Darkness, Quatermass And The Pit, Frankenstein Created Woman and The Devil Rides Out.

Vulnavia Morbius said...

Indeed! That set's awesome. Good prints, too.