Monday, January 12, 2009

Into 2009.

This blog was never actually intended as a "blog" per se. I originally started it as a means of archiving the writing I've done on message boards (particularly at the IMDB). Somewhere along the line, it took on a life of its own. Right now, though, I'm pressed for time, so this week's posting is just a listing of what I've watched since the beginning of the year. I'll come back to all of this--perhaps even in this blog entry--and write something. I've already written about The Tomb of Ligeia and Laura on my stand-alone web site, and I don't really have much to say beyond what I originally wrote. I've included links. The rest? Maybe later in the week.

I'm not counting the movies I watch this year. I think I'll get more enjoyment out of them if I just watch them without worrying about making a quota. Anyway...

For the Vincent Price challenge on the IMDB Horror Boards:

The Tomb of Ligeia (1964, directed by Roger Corman)
Leave Her to Heaven (1945, directed by John M. Stahl)
Laura (1945, directed by Otto Preminger)
Vincent (1982, directed by Tim Burton)
While the City Sleeps (1955, directed by Fritz Lang)

Just for the fun of it:

The Last Life in the Universe (2003, directed by Pen-Ek Ratanaruang)

After Hours (1985, directed by Martin Scorsese)

Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008, directed by Nicholas Stoller) Yay! Penis shots! Woo hoo!

Casablanca (1943, directed by Michael Curtiz)

Rome, Season One (2005)
Episode 1: "The Stolen Eagle (directed by Michael Apted)
Episode 2: "How Titus Pullo Brought Down the Republic" (directed by Michael Apted)

Agreeably violent, agreeably sexy, and loaded with the kind of palace intrigue that made I, Claudius so much fun to watch. This series rocks so far. CiarĂ¡n Hinds, they guy they got to play Caesar, is superb, but Polly Walker is in the process of stealing the show. Not hard to do when one gets that many nude scenes. Nice.

Cheers.

No comments: